Southern Sweet Tea Milk Punch
Recipe & Commentary by Chef Tyler Lyne | Photography by Mason Erwin
“Milk punches are also great for bars in terms of sales,” says Tyler of the cocktail, which can be made ahead, thus saving time for busy barkeeps, and upping sales. “The problem with high-octane or overly sweet-acidic drinks is that they aren’t as complementary to a full evening socializing at a bar. The subdued milk punch allows me to have a better time where I can have maybe two drinks per hour, as opposed to one. And the crushability of the drink is a 10 out of 10. So the provider and the customer are happier.”
Read the whole story in the Fall 2022 issue of Bourbon+.
- 2 ounces Kraken black spiced rum
- 1 ounce rye
- 1 ounce Cognac
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce blueberry jam
- 1 teaspoon jasmine tea
- 2 ounces whole milk
1. Mix all ingredients but milk in a container and let infuse for 2 hours.
In a second container, pour the milk.
2. Pour cocktail mixture over the milk to start the curdling process. Allow it to sit a couple of minutes.
3. Pour the mixture over a coffee filter and
wait one minute. The first drops will be cloudy. That’s normal.
4. Pour the cloudy liquid again through the curds remaining in the filter. You have to be patient and let gravity take effect.
5. Each cocktail is a little different and you can continue to double-and triple-filter depending upon the desired level of clarity. Clarified milk punch cocktails will keep indefinitely in the fridge.
Tyler Lyne doubles as the Executive Chef of Tasting TBL, a chef’s tasting experience hosted in his Birmingham, Alabama, home and the inaugural Chef in Residence at 1856 – Culinary Residence, the country’s first tasting-menu-only teaching restaurant at Auburn University’s new state-of-the-art Tony & Libba Rane Culinary Science Center. A graduate of the prestigious Culinary Institute of America (CIA), Tyler has traveled the world honing his craft at highly regarded restaurants in The Netherlands, Japan, and New York City. Tyler is a major fan of milk-washing and jumped into the test kitchen to experiment and share some recipes with us.