“Like Mozart dictating to Salieri, ideas spilled out of him in erratic bursts. ‘ I want a salad of raw chicory, grilled red onion rings, roasted kabocha squash, minced cooked country ham and fresh lemon juice…No dressing needed, since the salad gets served with the lamb and its sauce.’” –Excerpt from the feature “Newman’s Own Feast” by Steve Coomes
(On finishing day)
- 1 kabocha squash, halved, baked, scooped from skin and diced
- 1 large red onion, sliced to create 16 grilled rings
- ½ pound fresh chicory
- 4 ounces sliced cooked country ham
- Grated zest from one lemon
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 6 ounces candied walnuts
- Halve and place kabocha squash in baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until tender, about 30 minutes. Once cool, scoop out of shell and cut into half-inch cubes.
- Grill or pan sear onion rings to soften and create caramelized, charred edges. Using a knife, shred and chop cooked country ham.
- Grate lemon peel and set aside. Cut lemon in half and squeeze 1 ounce lemon juice and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add chicory, squash, ham, lemon peel, and lemon juice and toss. Garnish with candied walnuts and onion rings and set aside.