(1-2 days out)
- 16 ounces heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly on mandolin
- 3 ounces finely grated parmesan or pecorino-Romano cheese to top for gratin
- Combine all ingredients (except grated cheese) in large bowl, toss and coat well.
- In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, create a layer of sliced potatoes and onions, ladle on cream mixture just to cover, and repeat until all ingredients are used. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.
- When finished, remove dish from oven and preheat broiler. Remove foil and sprinkle grated cheese across the top of dish. Broil until cheese is golden brown. If you don’t have a broiler, a propane torch will do the trick.
- Note: If preparing this dish 1-2 days out, skip the final step until the finishing day. In the meantime, cool potatoes to room temperature and refrigerate until the finishing day. To reheat, place cold, foil covered potatoes into the oven during the final 45 minutes of lamb braising. Once hot, remove from oven, sprinkle on grated cheese and, using a propane torch, brown cheese.