Lone Star State Bourbon Punch
Story by Steve Coomes; Photography by Heather Wibbels
“Punches, the original batched cocktail, are simple and perfect for entertaining. Party hosts can make just one drink and let guests serve themselves. Punches make opening a beer seem harder by comparison. Relieved of bar duties, hosts have more time for cooking and making guests comfortable.” —Excerpt from the feature “Pow Factor” by Steve Coomes
Recipes originally published in the Winter 2022 issue of Bourbon+.
- 6 cups ruby red grapefruit juice, measured after pulp is strained out
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 1 cup agave syrup (1:1 water to agave nectar, brought to a simmer, then cooled)
- 4 cups 90-proof bourbon
- 1 cup cold water
- 32 ounces (3 bottles) of Topo Chico Twist of Grapefruit Sparkling Mineral Water
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- In a single container, combine all liquid ingredients and stir well. Using a funnel, transfer punch into four well-rinsed 750ml bottles or carafes. Chill for 12 hours, shaking or stirring occasionally to blend further.
- When ready to serve, add some ice to a rocks glass followed by about 2 ounces of mineral water. Follow with punch and stir gently. Pick two basil leaves, place them flat on the back of your hand and smack lightly. Place both leaves atop the drink.